Gene Burk Auto Glass has a long history serving southwest Oklahoma. From a beginning in boat and auto body work to glass, and more, read on to learn more about the family owned and operated business that is ready to serve your needs.
In 1935, Crossland Auto Glass was established as Lawton's original auto glass replacement shop. It was located at 312 E Avenue in downtown Lawton across from the Lawtonian Hotel. In 1947, at age 14 Gene Burk quit school to work for Carl Crossland at the shop. At that time, Crossland Auto Glass offered boat repair, auto body and glass.
In 1959, Gene determined he wanted to establish his own business. With wife Geraldine by his side, they began a new venture with their own successful auto glass and body shop. In 1965, Mr. Crossland retired and contacted Gene to purchase his business. With Mr. Crossland's help and support, Gene shut down the boat and auto body repair facilities and began to specialize in auto glass replacement only.
Gene Burk Auto Glass Specialists was forced to relocate in 1974 for urban renewal. Lawton's Central Mall is now where the old shop was located. Then, in 1979, with his oldest children Eugene, Karen and Mike working in-house, Gene formed a corporation and the business became Gene Burk Auto Glass Specialists Inc.
In 1995, Gene decided it was time to retire and offered to sell the business to his sons Eugene, Mike and Shane. Eugene decided he would pass on buying the glass shop and went into business for himself. Sons Mike and Shane purchased the business and continued the family tradition of quality and value.
Just one year later, Mike and Shane realized the customer demand for mobile service. In 1996, they purchased and customized a full time mobile truck, which included an on-board generator and an awning to pull vehicles under.
In 1999, Mike and Shane opened a second location in Altus, Oklahoma, and began servicing far western Oklahoma and northwest Texas.
In 2000, the Burks realized a need for a second fully equipped mobile truck to cover the larger service area that had been established, and by June had the unit in service.
On May 1, 2001, Gene Burk Auto Glass opened a third full service location in Duncan, Oklahoma.
Later that month, a windstorm caused extreme damage to the Lawton location and business was moved to a temporary site. Just over a year later, on July 15, 2002, reconstruction was complete and Gene Burk Auto Glass reopened in a new building at the corner of Sheridan and Lee.
Gene Burk's reputation was one of earning respect by doing the job right the first time.
History and tradition found each Burk generation entering the work field at the young age of thirteen. Mike's sons, Kevin and Brett, were no different, and became the third generation of Burks to have a place in the family business.
In 2005, Mike bought out Shane’s interest in the company. Under his ownership, the Duncan location was closed.
With the help of his mother Geraldine, Mike began teaching his sons the same work ethics taught to him, thus continuing the quality of service and workmanship Gene Burk had required of the business that carried his name. And, yes Grandpa Gene was there teaching, also.
In 2008, Gene Burk Auto Glass of Altus was hit by a tornado and efforts to relocate in the Altus area failed after a year trying to produce a new physical location. By then, Kevin and Brett were driving and Mike responded by purchasing mobile units.
On January 22, 2011, Gene Burk passed away, leaving his tradition of hard work and his dedication of serving the public, to future generations. These generations are proud to run the family business known as Gene Burk Auto Glass.
Currently, Gene Burk Auto Glass offers full auto glass service from the one physical location in Lawton, Oklahoma – where you can always find us. When the need arises, however, we can come to your location with two fully equipped mobile units.